Nankai University is located in Tianjin, one of the four municipalities of China. It is a key multidisciplinary and research-oriented university directly under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Education. On September 2017, the university was selected to be on the list of 42 universities and colleges that would participate in National Double First-Class Initiative as one of the 36 A-level universities in China.
Since 1981, Nankai University started to offer the Tourism Bachelor’s Degree which was the 1st university operated the tourism management undergraduate program in China. It is also one of the first batch of universities who were entitled to award the MSc in Tourism Economics, Master of Tourism Administration (MTA) and Ph.D in Tourism Management. Nankai University is acting as the secretariat of China National MTA Education Supervisory Committee. Currently, there are 654 students and 45 faculties which include 8 professors, 19 associate professors, 10 lecturers and 8 post-docs at the College of Tourism and Service Management (TAS). The Bachelor’s in Tourism Management program was included on the list of “National First-Class” Initiative Project in 2019.
TAS is equipped a number of teaching and research platforms such as:
- the Collaborative Innovation Center of Tourism Development,
- the Research Center for China Tourism Marketing and Destination Marketing,
- the Research Center for Silk Road Tourism,
- the Research Center for Marine Tourism,
- the Research Center for Recreational Agriculture of Tianjin,
- the Online Academy of Culture and Tourism,
- the Digital Learning and Research Center, and
- the Center of Tourism Experimental Teaching.
Besides, as an institutional member, the college is actively participating in numerous international organizations and academic communities such as UNWTO Knowledge Network, World Tourism Alliance (WTA), PATA, ICHRIE, IFITT, ISTTE, TTRA, CHME, and CAUTHE.
In the past 10 years, TAS has established close relationship with numbers of well-known international partners and developed a number of study abroad opportunities for domestic and international students such as:
- the Acdemic Internship Programme, University of Central Florida, USA,
- the “3+1” Double Degree Programme, University of Surrey, UK,
- the “2+2” Dual-Ph.D Programme, University of Glasgow, UK,
- the Student Exchange Programme, University of the Balearic Islands, Spain,
- the Student Exchange Programme, Macao Institute for Tourism Studies, SAR, China, and
- the “2+2” Dual-Bachelors Study at Nankai Programme, Halla University, South Korea.
The vision of the College: develop to be the leading tourism education college in China through the innovation mode.
The mission of the College: to become the creator and spreader of professional knowledge, the pathfinder of educational reform, the leader of tourism and service disciplines and the talent cultivation highland for tourism and service industry.