Dirk Schmücker gained his first professional experience as an apprentice travel agent. His first contact with practical market research, apart from some practical projects at the university, was during an internship at the Studienkreis für Tourismus (StfT) in Starnberg. He was particularly enthusiastic about Reiseanalyse, the market research flagship of the StfT, and aroused his interest in dealing intensively with all aspects of tourism market research.
He studied Business Administration, Economic and Social Geography and Tourism Management at the University of Lüneburg and worked as a research assistant at the Chair of Strategic Management and Tourism Management (Prof. Dr. Edgar Kreilkamp). His dissertation at the University of Lüneburg contains not only theoretical modelling and empirical testing, but also a whole range of survey and analysis methods.
- Professorship for Tourism at the FH Westküste in Heide
- Lectureships at the FU Berlin (tourism), CAU Kiel (tourism), WU Vienna (tourism), ISM Hamburg
(methodology and data analysis)
Work focus at the NIT
- Consumer research, in particular information and decision-making behavior
- Tourist impact studies and impact models
- Qualitative and quantitative market research methods
- Quantitative data analysis